Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Story On Breastfeeding

09-02-2007 : I was admitted to the hospital

10-02-2007 : I delivered a baby boy through C-section. Within the first hour, must let baby latch to inform the breast & brain, baby needs milk.

11-02-2007 : Observation. No milk yet but colostrums is sufficient for the baby

12-02-2007 : Observation. No milk yet in AM but feeling the heaviest in PM

13-02-2007 : My baby got jaundice. I stayed another day because I want to breastfeed him.

14-02-2007 : Going home.

My Breastfeeding Records
Feb 2007: Breastfeed direct
Mar 2007: Breastfeed direct
Apr 2007: Did not keep track
May 2007: Back to work. Average 32.40 oz per day with 4 extractions per day
Jun 2007: Average 29.72 oz per day with 4 extractions per day (3 days not well contribute to lower milk supplied)
Jul 2007: Average 32.13 oz per day with 4 extractions per day
Aug 2007: Average 30.60 oz per day with 4 extractions per day
Sep 2007: Average 31.46 oz per day with 4 extractions per day
Oct 2007: Average 33.15 oz per day with 4 extractions per day
Nov 2007: Average 33.72 oz per day with 4 extractions per day
Dec 2007: Average 34.49 oz per day with 4 extractions per day
Jan 2008: Average of 28.08 oz per day with 3 extractions per day
Feb 2008: Did not keep track, slow down to 2 extractions per day (period started to resume)

My frozen breast milk was sufficient to feed my son till he was 13 months.

I would not said I have plenty of milk but it was sufficient for my son. From an article I read, there are moms can produce up to 96 oz of milk per day.

I started to express my milk after 1 week discharge from hospital. I will express to properly empty my breast after each feed. I will get another 2 to 3 oz of milk.

How do I know my son get enough milk? He is getting enough milk when he wet about 5 to 6 diapers per day.

I placed my son in nursery that runs by 3 nurses. They advised to continue breastfeed till my son has its teeth as it will helps him to fight the fever caused by growing teeth.

When I was back to work, I carried a cooler box with me every day to work. I made my own ice pack - filled water into 500ml mineral water and freeze it. I always put 3 ice packs into my cooler box and it can last till I reached home. I expressed two times at work and it never easy. Projects deadline, meeting, meeting clients and travelling are worst. I brought my breast pump, cooler box and milk bottles everywhere I went. Projects deadline are important and so does my baby. I got a laptop so I will fulfill any requests or project deadline while expressed milk and I found it is a good way keep my milk flowing.

At that time, one of my friends was asking me “How come you have so much milk?” She told me the most she is getting about 4 oz per express. Interesting question, I started to do research about low milk supply and etc.

I found out that the right start is important – after delivery, within the first hour, the baby must latch to inform the breast to start producing milk. It will take about 3.5 days to feel the heaviest of your breast. It is normal and remembers no milk yet but colostrums are sufficient to your baby. Even though it is little but it is enough for little one.

Get it right the first time is very important. Maintaining it is as important as getting it right at the first time.

During confinement, you feed as your baby demand. Properly empty your breast is another good reason to ask the breast to produce more milk. If you are expressing it out, make sure you do it regularly – every 2 to 3 hours to keep the milk coming.

Engorgement is normal during breastfeed specially when you are back to work but regularly engorgement will send a signal to the brain “baby does not so much milk”, therefore will decrease in production of milk.

Decrease in milk production is so easy but if you wish to increase the milk production, you have to work really hard to get it to the level you want. So, remember to express regularly to keep the milk coming.

Wish to know more about how your breast works and overview of milk production. Visit “Low Milk Supply

If you managed to fully breastfeed (no infant formula at all) your little precious for at least 6 months, pat yourself on the shoulder because you did a GREAT job. Bravo!!!

No comments: