Saturday, February 14, 2009

Increase Breast Milk Supply

There were times; I felt I did not produce enough milk especially when I did not get the average ounces. Thanks to “STRESS”. It is very challenging for me as I want to put my career and my baby first. Greedy me.. huh!!! LOL

I do a lot of research how to increase breast milk and found out that fenugreek (can get in Malaysia : one of spice to cook curry) and goat's rue (not available in Malaysia). Goat's rue is one of the most potent herbs known to increase breast milk, stimulating the development of mammary tissue.

Here are what I found :-
Earth-Mama : Milkmaid Tea (USDA Certified 100% Organic)

Ingredients are Trigonella foenum-graecum (organic fenugreek) seed, Foeniculum vulgare (organic fennel) seed, Rubus idaeus (organic red raspberry) leaf, Citrus sinensis (organic orange) peel, Urtica diocica (organic stinging nettle) leaf, Mentha spicata (organic spearmint) leaf, Pempinella anisum (organic anise) seed, Carum carvi (organic caraway) seed, Medicago sativa (organic alfalfa) leaf

Self-made : Mama Milk Tea

  • increase your milk supply and the nutritional value of your milk.
  • Ingredients are
  • * 2 parts Red Raspberry leaf - cut
  • * 2 parts Fennel seed - whole
  • * 2 parts Nettle leaf - cut
  • * 1 part Fenugreek seed - whole - not during pregnancy
  • * 1 part Dandelion leaf - cut
  • * 1/2 part Blessed Thistle - cut

One mother experience:-
I normally add 3 tablespoons of the premixed herbs to 2 cups of water. (This makes for a strong tea. You are welcome to use less than 3 tablespoons, if you find it too strong).

Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for no longer than 10 minutes. Strain off the herbs, and add raw honey, if desired. I found that drinking 3 - 6 cups a day increased my milk supply considerably. (I have drunk as much as 8 cups in one day with very good results). It's very important to stay hydrated while nursing by drinking lots of liquids. The tea helped in that as well.

Keit's experience : I could not get "Blessed Thistle" anyway. So I skip this herb. The taste of tea is acceptable and have to really drink a lot to see the results. Hey!! Do not expect a huge jump like extra 3 oz per express. But it will increase gradually and remember the golden rule : frequent pumping will increase the milk supply.

Motherlove Product


I tried this product and it works well for me. During my stress day, I still can get at least 7 oz per express. This product cannot be taken during pregnancy as it contains fenugreek.







If I ever get another child, I will give this product a try.

Motherlove : An alcohol free liquid concentrate in vegetarian capsules -- goat's rue is one of the most potent herbs known to increase breast milk, stimulating the development of mammary tissue. Helps adoptive mothers to successfully breastfeed, as well as women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), or women who have had breast reduction surgery. Also may be used to increase breast size in non-lactating women. This product does not contain any milk, dairy, egg, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, or gluten.

I tried 2 of the above products to gain experience and share it. LOL. Guinea-pig. LOL.

A few friends of mine asked “What do you eat to get so much milk?” I always replied “Nothing special. Normal food”. But they still insisted me to name it. Let me think, what did I took during breastfeeding (way before I tried the above mentioned products).

  • Organic Soya Milk without embryos. Embryos can cause uric acid gets higher. Why do I take soya milk and not cow milk? Too much of cow milk or dairy products will lead to colic in babies.
  • Proper diet.
  • Plenty of soups. I love the most is double-boiled "kei chi" + DOM + chicken. I drink it before sleeps. This soup will make me slumber like baby. A good night sleep means well rested means milk production is healthy.
  • My supplement : Royal Jelly : Queen bee food. Best food among all. LOL

No comments: