Sunday, February 1, 2009

Baby Signs

When babies are young and when they start to talk in their baby language and we as parent do not understand what they want or what they are saying. No matter how hard we tried, most of the times we still failed to understand their needs. When we failed to understand them, tantrum will start, sometime leaving us no choice and opt-to ignoring or disciplines them.

I wish I can reduce the tantrum if I did not understand his baby language. I want to reduce the stress between both of us and making both of us understand each other better. I came across Baby Signs through a birthday party.

I attended Baby Signs Workshop when my son was 6 months old. I started signing with my son after the workshop and was hoping he will sign back. His first sign to me was after 11 months. He wanted to master his walking skill before start signing to me. He took his first step when he was 16 months old without support. About 17 months, he started to sign with me – making me the happiest mommy on earth. Well, it took me about 11 months to see the result – it worth every effort.

When he saw something he knew, he will signed and I will gave him a big applause when he got it correct or correct him if he does not. When he wants something or wants to share something with me, he will let me know by signing. Signing really help me to understand his needs, reduce stress level between us and we understand each other better.

Whenever he learned a new sign, he will showed it to his nanny and nanny has to keep guessing what it is. LOL.

Now, he is about 24 months and he knew about 80 baby signs. He dropped a few signs, picking up new words and new sounds.

His favorite activity right now is repeating every word I said to him. Extremely curious child.

So, let those little fingers do the talking....

No comments: