Friday, March 11, 2011

JC & Psychologist

1st Session with Psychologist
  • Meet with us (the family)
  • She asked questions, we answered.
  • Questions like :-
    • What are you here?
    • How you want me to help your son?
    • What do you think it is his problem?
    • When is his first word?
    • When is his first turn?
    • When is his first step?
    • How do you discipline him?
    • When he picked up something from the floor, what do you do?
    • When does this behaviour start of pickup things from the floor to eat started?
    • How is he relationship with his baby sister?
    • Does he respond to her?
    • How you guys? Do have time to spend together? Do you have your own time?
  • Nearly end of the session, she said just an preliminary observation
    • I can see that he is an attention seeker because he will keep on calling your name (mommy) till you responded to him.
  • We were given 2 set of booklet to answer. Another 2 set of booklet for the class teacher and the day care provider.
2nd Session with Psychologist
  • Meet with the patient (my son)
  • Doing child therapy – 50 minutes.
  • I was surprised he willing to follow the psychologist into the child therapy room without any fuss but he checked on me occasionally. I keep on reminded him that I will be here waiting for you. Do not worry as mommy is not going anywhere.
  • He was given a few pieces of paper to draw on. The child therapy room is full of toys – dinosaurs, cars, trucks, toy houses, sand, baby stroller and etc.
  • Once they are done, they came out from the room and we suppose to go to psychologist room for further discussion, then JC made a big fuss because he enjoyed so much being in that child therapy room as many toys are new to him. He kept on repeating himself by saying “I want doctor, I want doctor”
  • The psychologist told me the followings:-
    • When the connection is not established, JC does not even bother to talk to her or follow any of her instruction, but once they were connected it is easier for her to communicate with him.
    • JC is the same person need soft approach with a lot of positive approach meaning I cannot say NO, CANNOT, NOT ALLOW as this consider negative approach.
    • When I asked what do you mean soft + positive approach, she explained, when we are in the child therapy room, he was playing with the doll houses, he took all the toys include the furniture down and then he will jumped to another toy without cleaning up the doll houses. So what I did, JC can you put back the doll inside the house? He is not responding as he is busy with his new toy. Then she added, let’s do it together. Then she took the initiative to put the 1st doll inside the house, and then she asked where this doll goes to. JC puts them all back all by himself. Once he is done, she said “great job, give me five”. This is considering soft + positive approach.
    • I told her I did the same thing but sometime he just gets into my nerves. She added being a parent is not easy and you need tons of patients. (Got slap by her words).
    • She asked “Do you read any parent book to help you to understand JC better such as at this age what are the things to expect and his development progress?” I told her I did subscribe from the internet specially babycenter as they will send a weekly newsletter in the child development. She added, it would be good if you can get some professional books on this and read it up (another slap on my face)
    • You need to let the class teacher know about the soft + positive approach and one you are connected with him, he is easy to handle. Maybe do not place him in large class, you could try to find a kindergarten /pre-school with only 10-12 per class.
    • She is suggesting bringing JC for speech assessment.
We need to schedule for another appointment (3rd appointment) to reveal the results after she looks through all the booklets.

In the end of the session, I feel so guilty and such a fail parent.

No comments: