Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Weaning the child from a pacifier

While visiting MAM website, I came across this beautiful story that I would love to share. This story taken from www.mymam.com.my

Parents Information
As parents, you will certainly know that children about three years old can’t really understand theoretical sentences such as "Pacifiers may harm your teeth, later you will have to go to the dentist"........Ridiculing a child can harm the child’s psychological development and even negatively affect the future grown-up (disturbed or reduced self-esteem).Therefore, remarks such as “You are too big for a pacifier, everyone will laugh at you"… are not suitable. Thus the author – Marina Priglinger – appeals to emotions in her story, particularly to mercy.As every child knows the feeling of being alone, of mom or dad not being there right when they are needed, the “test children" at nursery school easily understood little Mampi.Normally the imagination of parents is very good, when teaching their children something or to stop them from doing something. But at some stage every mom or dad loses their imagination. That’s when we would like you to use this story. Of course, you may change it or adapt it to your child. It does not have an immediate effect, but – prepared with patience and love – it may bring about the desired success.

Preparing the story for your child
The story has to be prepared. Some time before actually telling the story, show your child how the moon changes. Observe together with your child how it grows until it is a full moon. Then tell your child that this is the way it has to look before Mampi can be put on the window sill. Of course, you may ask the moon or the pacifier fairy for a bit more patience if you see that your child needs more time.It is likely that your child will also make suggestions. Take them seriously, but remain decided and remind the child how Mampi suffered from the separation from his mother.The MAM team and Marina Priglinger wish you good luck and success not only with your MAM-pacifier, but also with “MAMPI".

My name is Mampi. I am a pacifier. I am your Pacifier, and I am very happy to be yours.You have a Mommy. I have a Mommy too. My Mommy is the Pacifier Fairy, and I love her very much.I have many brothers and sisters.

Most of the time we live in Pacifier Land. It is wonderful there! But when a baby is born we are allowed to go to Earth. When the child reaches three years old we would like to return to our Mommy and to all our brothers and sisters. So we do not lose our way home, our Mommy calls us on a full moon-lit night. It is so sad if we cannot follow. Our Mommy cries.If my Mommy calls me back, YOU must help me. You must put me on the window ledge before the full moon rises. I am much too small to climb up there alone. If you sleep deeply, the Moon will carry me to Pacifier Land on his silver beam. Will you help me? Please! Don’t be like little Sarah!She did not want to send her Pacifier back, although she had made a promise. She did not put her Pacifier on the window ledge. Can you believe that?Sarah’s Pacifier was my little brother. His name was Mampi. We are all called Mampi. At first everything was wonderful. Sarah and Mampi loved each other just as sweetly as we love each other. If Sarah became tired she put Mampi in her mouth and sucked until she fell happily to sleep. Just like you and me.However one night - it was a full moon - they both woke up. A voice had woken them up, calling softly:

"Mampi! Can you hear me my little Mampi? Come home, your time on Earth is finished. We are waiting for you!” “That is my Mommy," Mampi cried as he leapt up. His round Pacifier eyes glistened with delight."Mommy! Mommy I’m coming!” he called as he jumped up on the bed cover.

Suddenly, Sarah grabbed at Mampi and pressed him firmly in her hand. „No, Mampi belongs to me! I will not give him up!" she shrieked. Mampi was frightened - this was not the way it should be. "Sarah, you promised to put me on the window ledge, if my Mommy calls to me. I love her very dearly and I want to be with her again!""No," said Sarah once more, and pressed Mampi even more firmly into her hand. She fell asleep again. "Mommy, oh Mommy!" Mampi whispered, and began to weep bitterly.

Time passed. Suddenly Mampi had an idea. He wiped away his pacifier tears and thought: "I will climb onto the window ledge alone." Softly he jumped from the bed and stood in front of the window. Oh, it was so high - much too high for a little pacifier!

Then he saw the curtain. Would he be able to use it for the high climb? Mampi gathered up all of his courage and grasped the curtain: One - two - three - he swung himself.Like a small monkey he hung onto the folds of the curtain. He swung himself higher, ever more higher - but the distance was very great and Mampi soon became tired."Just a bit further, and you’ll be on the window ledge," whispered the curtain."I can’t …" groaned Mampi, "I really can’t."And in his despair he began to weep again. He sobbed so loudly that the noise woke up Sarah. Her eyes opened in fright as she saw Mampi hanging from the curtain."Hold on tight! I’ll get you down!" She called as she jumped from the bed. But Mampi was too high, and Sarah too small. Then she saw the chair. In a flash she climbed onto it. "Hold tight! I’m coming!" She reached up and held Mampi in her outstretched hand. At just this moment the chair tipped over. With a loud crash they both fell to the floor."Mommy, Mommy!" screamed Sarah."Mommy, Mommy!" chirped Mampi.Sarah’s Mother rushed into the bedroom."Child! What happened?" she asked, frightened. Sarah told her all about Mampi and Pacifier Land and the Pacifier Fairy who was Mampi’s Mommy and how Mampi wanted to be with his Mommy again.

"One must honor what one has promised, Sarah", said her Mother as she took Mampi in her warm hand."I would also like to be with my Mommy," sobbed the Pacifier. „Of course little Mampi," said Sarah’s Mother as she turned to Sarah.

What is the best for us to do? Did I not come immediately when you called? I believe that Mampi also needs his Mommy now."Sarah did not answer right away. Secretly, she winked at her small friend who lay still in her Mother’s hand. He pressed his face into his little hands and wept even more bitterly. Sarah suddenly realized that Mampi’s Mommy was so far away that he could not see or hear her. The thought was not pleasant, and then she understood."I believe that Mampi needs his Mommy too," she finally answered. She took Mampi from her Mother’s hand and gently placed him on the window ledge. She stroked him gently."Have a good journey. I will miss you. But now I can understand. The most important thing is to be with your Mommy. Can you come and visit me some time? That would be wonderful!""Yes, yes! I will come and see you - in your dreams," promised the little Pacifier. Sarah scurried back to her bed."I love you dearly, Mommy," she whispered, putting her arms round her Mother’s neck. "Mampi loves his Mommy just as much," said her mother."I know," murmured the child, and fell asleep.The next morning the window ledge was empty. The full moon had carried the little Pacifier back to his Mommy.Mampi kept his promise. He came to see Sarah in many of her dreams. Again and again they enjoyed many jokes and laughed and reminded each other of the time when he was still on Earth. Mampi’s Pacifier Mommy appeared at the end of each dream. She took him into her arms lovingly. And if he smiled happily, then Sarah was happy because she knew that a Mommy was the most important thing - even for a little pacifier like Mampi.

No comments: