Saturday, January 15, 2011

More Storage???

My mom brought a new fridge, brand Toshiba. When I read the user manual, I only realise that freezer attached to this fridge have a temperature range of -15°C to -25°C.

When the freezer temperature control set to 3, the temperature is -19°C, meaning if I store my breast milk in this freezer, it can store up to 1 year.

This is based on La Leche League Storage Guidelines:-
All milk should be dated before storing. Storing milk in 2-4 ounce amounts may reduce waste. Refrigerated milk has more anti-infective properties than frozen milk. Cool fresh milk in the refrigerator before adding it to previously frozen milk.

Preferably, human milk should be refrigerated or chilled right after it is expressed. Acceptable guidelines for storing human milk are as follows. Store milk:

  • at room temperature (66-78°F, 19-26°C) for 4 hours (ideal), up to 6 hours (acceptable) (Some sources use 8 hours)
  • in a refrigerator (less than 39°F, less than 4°C) for 72 hours (ideal); up to 8 days (acceptable)
  • in a freezer (-0.4 to -4°F, -18 to -20°C) for 6 months (ideal) up to 12 months (acceptable)
Beside than this wonderful temperature, what I love the most about this fridge is, it got an automatic ice maker.

Seeing this fridge, really make me want to get a deep freezer for my breast milk, which I am still considering.

No comments: