Monday, July 27, 2009

World Breastfeeding Week (Aug 1 -7) : Myth vs Fact

While reading my Sunday newspaper, "The Star" dated 26 July 2009. I came across an interesting article which I cannot wait to put it up in my blog. :)

MYTH : "Malnourished mothers cannot breastfeed."

FACT : They can. Moderate maternal malnutrition has little or no effect on milk production. In fact, the mother will continue to produce milk, at the own expense of her own body stores. Extra food and fluids are needed to replenish the mother's own reserves, and micronutrient supplementation may be needed.

ME : New to me ^_^. One thing I knew, if eat too much bitter gourd while breastfeeding will make your milk taste bitter and your baby will refuse to drink. So, do not over-doing - BALANCE.

MYTH : "Stress prevents mothers from producing milk."

FACT : Stress does not prevent production of milk, but may temporarily interfere with its flow. Breastfeeding mothers have lower stress hormone levels than non-breastfeeding mothers.

ME : No wonder I was happy all the times during my breastfeeding period. Cannot imagine, how come it can be so powerful. LOL.

MYTH : "Once a mother stops breastfeeding, she can't restart."

FACT : A mother can restart breastfeeding - there is no time limit. In some contexts, grandmothers have breastfed their grandchildren.

ME : I found this very very interesting. hehe... thinking of giving it a try.

MYTH :"HIV positive mothers should never breastfeed."

FACT : Exclusive breastfeeding for six months is the safest option and gives the best chance of HIV-free child survival, unless total replacement feeding is acceptable, feasible, affordable, sustainable and safe (AFASS) - unlikely in emergencies. After six months, if replacement feeding is still not AFASS, continued breastfeeding with adequate complementary foods is the safest option.

ME : New to me. ^_^ And happy to learn something new.

No comments: