Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cooking Oil.... Do you REALLY know about them???

I have been reading this book since I got it and I cannot put it down.

Interesting part of is, it made me realize about Omega-3 fatty acids.

Omega-3 fatty acids
Taken from page 12. It said
"There are many different kinds of fats in food and most of them are bad guys, as we've already seen. Omega-3 fatty acids, on the other hand, are the good guys.

The key differences between omega-6s and omega-3s are these:
  • Omega-6s cause inflammation, constrict blood vessels, encourage blood platelets to stick together and form rigid cell membranes.
  • Omega-3s reduce inflammation, dilate blood vessels, deter blood platelets from sticking together and form flexible cell membranes.


For optimum functioning you want flexible cell membranes, that is, omega-3s. But in the modern diet, omega-6s outweigh omega-3s ten times over. Although omega-6s are essential, that ratio is thought to be too great. So you need to aim for more omega-3s than omega-6s.

Omega-3s abound in oily fish. However, flaxseed is the only known non-fish oil that provides more omega-3s than omega-6s.

In other words, if you don't eat fish, try to use flaxseed oil as much as possible. You'll also find vegan omega-3s in rapeseed (canola), soy and walnut oils, but flaxseed is better because of its low omega-6 content."


After reading this, now I know the reason why I changed my cooking oil to a normal type rather than high-tech type.

Before I read this book, all I know is the cooking oil I am using consists of omega-3 and omega-6 but unsure about the ratio, just that it made my kitchen full of black sticky oil every where and it is hard to clean. Back in 1980s, I remember the cooking oil I used will only made the kitchen oil and rather easy to clean compare to current cooking oil and I always wonder what will happen when I eat inside, what or where does it stick inside my body. That made me make the change of my cooking oil.

No comments: